NEW YORK – March 4, 2021 – Thrillist, the #1 food, drink and travel brand for Gen Z and Millennials [source: Comscore Media Matrix & Plan Metrix, Q3 2020] launches new travel caravan packages in partnership with Academic Travel Abroad to create all-inclusive trips to the NY Finger Lakes Region launching on Memorial Day and continuing till Labor Day. As part of their new editorial initiative, “The Roaming 20s,” dedicated to a new era of travel, the trip reflects Thrillist’s desire to launch a movement of exploration and escape for consumers while encouraging them to explore the beauty in their own backyards. The trip will have guests hit the open road in a fully-stocked RV, heading toward a secluded campsite under the stars. By day, explore tiny lake towns and organic farms, hike past endless waterfalls and swimming holes, even learn a new skill or two. By night, guests will settle in by the campfire for chef-cooked meals paired with award-winning local wines, topped off with s’mores and stargazing with an astronomer who knows their stuff. Turns out, van life is pretty good.
“At Thrillist, we are dedicated to the culture of experience, and as we’ve spent a year in quarantine, we are all desperately craving new, safe experiences more than ever,” said Meghan Kirsch, Chief Content Officer at Thrillist. “Our all-inclusive caravan trips give our audiences fresh and covid safe ways following CDC Guidelines to seek adventure and satisfy their desire to travel and explore while growing an appreciation for the beauty of local destinations.”
“The Thrillist Caravan” is targeting pods to invite groups of two to six people to rent a fully stocked caravan and enjoy an exclusive experience in the NY Finger Lakes region over four days and three nights (Thursday-Sunday):
DAY 1: Happy Trails (Watkins Glen) – Thursday
1. Meet your crew at the Road Bear depot in South Amboy, New Jersey to learn your way around your Land Yacht, your home for the next four days. Then hit the road with your provided box lunch.
2. Check out Six Circles Farm, an organic garlic farm on the scenic shores of Seneca Lake. Visit the Castel Grisch Winery where you will pair local wines with organic cheeses made a few miles away at the Sunset View Creamery. After dinner, sit back and relax around the campfire under starlit skies for a song session with your host. No need to worry about drinking and driving; you’re already home!
DAY 2: Home on the Range (Watkins Glen/ Corning) – Friday
1. Rise with an early wake-up call that will help groups to beat the crows to explore rugged rock formations, a dozen waterfalls, and a natural swimming hole at Watkins Glen State Park.
2. Play with fire in a private workshop at the Corning Glass Factory and Museum and bring home your own piece of Corning history. Explore the impossibly charming Gaffer District, a highly walkable downtown stretch loaded with boutiques, destination-worthy restaurants, and enough confectionaries to merit its own Chocolate Trail.
3. Then guests will find their Home on the Range with more than 200 free-range bison (including White Lightning, the resident albino buffalo!) at Mud Creek Bison Ranch and enjoy a VIP farm tour on pioneer wagons and bison feeding. Conclude your day with baby goat yoga during the sunset wrapping up with a smoked bison barbecue, beer, bonfire, and “drive-in” movie under the stars.
DAY 3: Water and Wine (Cayuga Lake/Ithaca) – Saturday
1. Discover Cayuga Lake and step aboard a floating classroom for a morning of hands-on citizen science, birdwatching, and a picnic lunch from Ithaca Bakery aboard the boat.
2. After, join a certified sommelier and nutritionist for a wine and cheese tasting at a boutique winery.
3. Graze your way through Ithaca’s famous farmers’ market with a local chef (Emma Frisch) and pick out the freshest seasonal ingredients – including garlic from our friends at Six Circles – for tonight’s dinner.
4. After you settle into your secret campsite in the heart of Robert Treman State Park, Emma will join you to share the fine art of campfire cooking in a hands-on class. Wrap up the day with s’mores and stars alongside a local astronomer.
DAY 4: Chasing Waterfalls (Ithaca/ Beach Roundhouse) – Sunday
1. Your exclusive campground is just a short walk from the rugged rock formations and wild beauty of the Rim and Gorge Trail. After you complete the circuit, plunge into the largest natural swimming hole in the Finger Lakes before returning to the open road -- and reality.
Recreational Vehicles provided by Road Bear RV. Learn more about the experiences and book your trips here.
Thrillist is the #1 food, drink and travel brand for Gen Z and Millennials [source: Comscore Media Matrix & Plan Metrix, Q3 2020]. Thrillist serves as a guidebook for those that want new experiences and long to turn a good time into a great time. Our nonstop coverage of local culture inspires audiences to discover their world and celebrate every moment. In a serious world, we take fun seriously. In December 2016, Thrillist joined forces with NowThis, The Dodo, POPSUGAR and Seeker to form Group Nine Media -- a global top 10 publisher.
Academic Travel Abroad (ATA) will be operating the Thrillist Caravan. ATA is the leading provider of curated immersive travel experiences for a wide variety of organizations. Committed to innovative program design, outstanding quality and environmental sustainability, every ATA program is designed to change perspectives, deepen understanding, and engage communities.